How to Reset Check Engine Light on Ram 1500
If you want to reset a Ram 1500 check engine light, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Disconnect the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
What this will do is reset the vehicle’s computer, although this may only work in newer Ram 1500 models. If you have an older model and want to reset the Ram 1500 check engine light, you may need to do this and also drive the truck for up to 50 miles in order to recalibrate the computer. It’s important to note that when you disconnect the battery on your Ram 1500, it not only resets the computer but should also reset the vehicle’s security system and other electronic systems.
While this is a very easy process to reset the check engine light on a Ram 1500, we cannot stress enough how important it is that you first determine why the light came on in the first place. Let the experts at Garavel CJDR walk you through some reasons why your Ram 1500 check engine light may be on.
Why Is My Check Engine Light On?
Before you reset your Ram 1500 check engine light, it’s vital that you discover what the problem was in the first place. There are many reasons why a check engine light may come on, including minuscule things like a loose gas cap. Here are some things to do when your vehicle’s check engine light comes on:
- Make Sure it’s the Check Engine Light: This may seem like an obvious thing, but with so many different lights on a dashboard, you could be mistaking the check engine light with another like the service required light. Be sure to check your Ram 1500 owner’s manual to see if the light you’re seeing is, in fact, the check engine light.
- Check Your Gas Cap: One of the most common reasons why a check engine light may be on is due to a loose gas cap. Be sure to check your gas cap, remove it once again, and secure it back on tightly. Then, follow the steps at the top of this guide, and see if the check engine light comes back on.
- Check the Codes: If you use an automotive diagnostic scanner, you can find the error code that is making the check engine light come on. This will allow you to pinpoint the exact error so you can fix it. You can always purchase your own automotive diagnostic scanner. Or, if you’re like most Stamford or Greenwich drivers, then you would rather have an expert do this. If this is the case, contact us at Garavel CJDR and schedule a service appointment with us!
Rely on the RAM Service Experts at Garavel CJDR
Now that you know how to reset the check engine light on a Ram 1500, we hope that you’re able to pinpoint the problem and fix the issue! If you need further assistance, you can always trust the experts at the Garavel CJDR service center to take care of it and get your car back up and running in no time. Contact us and schedule a service appointment today! While you’re here, discover the benefits of getting your vehicle serviced with us!
More From Garavel CJDR
Jeep is known for being one of the best trail performance vehicles out there, but what about on your local Greenwich roads? Can it handle slippery streets and traffic? You may be surprised to learn that all Jeeps from the Cherokee to the Wagoneer have the latest and most advanced safety systems to monitor…
When it comes to packing all the power and efficiency that you need for your Stamford jobs, the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel has you covered. The EcoDiesel available in the RAM 1500 comes with the specs and performance features that allow you to tackle just about anything that you need, whether it’s towing strength or…
The all-new 2021 Jeep Gladiator combines the utility of a truck with the off-road prowess of the Jeep, resulting in one unforgettable ride. View InventoryContact Us But, how much is the Jeep Gladiator? The Jeep Gladiator MSRP starts at just $34,040, and that’s just the beginning. There are nine different trim levels to explore:…